FEATURED | AUGUST 2013 | D101 MINI CARNIVAL GUIDE
NOTTING HILL CARNIVAL IS THE 2ND LARGEST CARNIVAL IN THE WORLD. ONLY BRAZIL’S CARNIVAL IS BIGGER. HERE ARE SOME FACTS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT EUROPE’S LARGEST STREET PARTY.
* This is the 49th year of the Notting Hill Carnival.
* It has grown from a gathering of 100 people to
Europe’s largest street party with almost 2 million visitors over two days.
* The carnival audience is equivalent to the O2 arena filled 87 times
or the equivalent to 11 Glastonbury festivals.
* It is estimated that 140,000 Europeans come to Notting Hill Carnival
and this number is growing.
* 300 food stalls are set up during the bank holiday and
five tons of chicken are consumed at carnival.
* The Notting Hill Carnival generates more than £100 million for London’s economy.
* There are 23 times more visitors to the Carnival than the British Grand Prix.
*150,000 feather plumes and 30 million sequins are used by costume makers.
* More than 1 million hours go into making and decorating the costumes.
* 50,000 participants are involved in the carnival.
* Over 16,000 different records are played.
* 70 performing sound stages
[catlist id=142 numberposts=5]